Tuesday 17 November 2015

Some sad news and more FoW.

We lost a very special person last week, Cath, my Mum in Law of over 30 years  passed away peacefully in her sleep on Thursday. IN a way it's almost a relief after a stressful six months, there remains the funeral to organise so it's a busy time sorting out her affairs etc. She rejoins her beloved husband Dave, who was probably my closest friend for many years as well as my father in law.

Cath and Dave in early days enjoying a drink in a Hastings Pub. Two of the nicest people I have ever met.

As an aside, and an escape from the stress I have been playing more Flames of War solo games in order to become comfortable with the rules. Things have changed on the domestic front as our middle daughter Jess has moved back home with her partner so there has been a lot of organising and sorting out. We have plenty of room here, and like many young couples they have been struggling in a private rented flat, with rents up to £800.00 per month for a tiny 2 bed flat. They both work full time but would have no chance of getting a mortgage, plus Jess will be going to Uni next year, we keep encouraging her, she has the grades, and this takes any financial pressure off of them for a while. Anyway, upshot of this is that Dad has been allowed to keep the smaller 4th bedroom as a 'hobby room' and so I now have a permanent table once again. I also have my painting desk set up there too, I think the family have decided it's best to keep me out of the way while things are being moved around etc, so I'm happy up there and enjoying the freedom to play Flames of War anytime I want. I also have my music up there so it's perfect :)

Some random photos of the table and figures etc.





Painting desk with Bolt Action half track undercoated.


Anti tank troops lie in wait.

HMG sited with a good view down the village street

My Grandaughter helped me to make the sign so I painted her name on it.

British infantry dash for cover.

The little painting area.

M10's in defensive position, concealed at the edge of woods.

Fearless Veteran US airborne on the left flank.




10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to read of your loss. Well done on making room for your daughter. Its good to be able to rely on family.

    The hobby room and table look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss 'Lee. That's a nice table you have set up, very smart indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, I'm pleased with how the table is turning out, all starting to come together now.

      Delete
  3. Sad to read of the passing of your loved one. You are a lucky man to have had such a good relationship with your in-laws!

    Gaming room is rather swank sir! Looks like it's also lit very well. Hope the assault rules for FoW aren't confusing you too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai,

      As for the rules, I'm still torn between FoW and Bolt Action, certainly BA seem fairly straightforward, I have about fifty figures painted for BA now so will give them a few run throughs. The FoW assault rules I'm finding a bit hard going, especially around buildings.

      Delete
  4. My condolences, Lee. Those moments of transition and grief are always hard.



    Just a note regarding your wargames room - are you sure that's a wargames room? It seems far too neat and well organised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CK. As for the room, well it won't stay like that for long I'm sure!

      Delete
  5. Every man needs a cave, and that is a very comfortable one... please try to leave it every now and again if only for family and marital harmony.. trust me on this one.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. It's a great place to escape to I must say, but I'll try to get out from time to time :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.